My dad, grew up in a very Italian household, told me you only need 8 ingredients to make a killer tomato sauce:
- Canned Tomatoes
- Tomato Paste
- Olive Oil
- Garlic/Garlic Powder
- Dried Basil
- Dried Oregano
While this is not a family recipe (how could I possibly share that??) I am going to share with you an EASY tomato sauce that’ll make you feel Italian AF. You can also spice it up and add in meat or lentils to make it a bolognese! I added in some beefless ground beef from Trader Joe’s (as always).
- Start with the aromatics. Add about 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil into a large pot. Heat on medium. Once the oil is hot, add in 1/2 of a diced white onion, and if you’re using garlic instead of garlic powder, add in 3 diced cloves of garlic. Sauté in the pot until the onions are translucent.
- Once the onions are cooked, add in 1 1/2-2 tbsp of tomato paste and mix until distributed among the onions. Then, add in a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes in tomato juice and turn the heat down to low.
- Now it’s time to add in the spices. I used 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of garlic powder (don’t do this if you’re using garlic cloves), 1 tsp of dried basil, and 1 tsp of dried oregano. I recommend covering the pot, but not covering it completely, and then simmer for 30 minutes. Optional: add in a few pinches of red pepper flakes for a kick.
- After the 30 minutes, if your sauce is too thick, add in 1/4 cup of water and let simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Optional: add in about 1-1 1/2 cups of beefless ground beef for a vegan meat sauce.
Tip: if you like your tomato sauce to be smooth without tomato chunks, stick it in a blender or use crushed tomatoes instead of diced tomatoes!