Chickpeas are cool…but they can get boring. A GREAT meal prep (and a great cheap meal prep) is making chickpea salad sandwiches! So many ways to make it your own, but check out my recipe below. WARNING: red onion #haters may want to stay away (or reduce/sub the red onions).
Makes 3 servings
- 1 can of chickpeas, mostly drained
- 2 large celery stocks
- 1/2 red onion
- 2-3 tbsp of mayo, can sub for hummus to make this vegan!
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Chile lime seasoning, to taste
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- 6 slices of sandwich bread
- 1 saucepan
- 1 knife
- 1 fork
- 1 medium sized mixing bowl
- Heat chickpeas on the stove over a medium low heat for 5 minutes or until warm. As the chickpeas are warming up, thinly chop up the celery stocks and red onion.
- Once warmed, put the chickpeas in a medium size mixing bowl and smash them with the bottom of a fork. All of the chickpeas don’t have to be perfectly smashed!
- Once smashed, add in the celery, red onion, mayo, and lemon juice. Start with two tablespoons, and if you need more, add in mayo 1/2 tablespoon at a time. I personally used 2 1/2 tablespoons for this recipe!
- Season your chickpea salad with salt, pepper, and chile lime seasoning to taste. Let it sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- When you’re ready, place on some toasted sandwich bread, and enjoy! This recipe should make ~3 hefty servings.